Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Entry 65

Snapshot of Disney's  The Lion King, Broadway Musical


When I was young a group of friends and I went to see this musical in Boston. I remember being blown  away by the costumes but looking back at the production there is a great deal of beautiful lighting in the musical as well. I brought up this picture because I was struck at how the lighting designer chose to handle the task of lighting the actors with these elaborate masks. In order to make such the audience focuses on the animal masks and sees those as the heads of the characters and not the actors' faces, the designers chose to aim these bright spotlights onto the masks and leave the rest of the actors' faces and bodies to be revealed by the fill-lights. It was a simple thing but it makes a huge impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment